- November Laser Hair Removal Offers
- Life After Laser Hair Removal
- Autumn Laser Hair Removal
- Hirsutism, Causes and Treatment Options
- How Lasers Can Stimulate Hair Growth
- Telegraph Beauty Blushes: Ingrown Hairs
- Laser Hair Removal Eye Safety Information
- 1 in 4 DIY Pubic Grooming Leads to Injury
- Threading Top Lip Hair Removal
- Hair Removal Cream Pros and Cons
Home Laser Hair Removal A Poor Investment
Home IPL Machines as Christmas Presents?
More and more people are tempted by the prospect of laser hair removal – skin that is less stubbly and hairy without daily shaving.
Going to a salon is the ideal way forward, but increasingly, patients are considering having a laser hair removal machine to use at home.
Particularly in November/December, there is a plethora of machines available to choose from.
However, there are some key differences between what a home/diy machine can achieve and the equipment in a salon or skin clinic.
Firstly, the price is a clue. Yes, the idea of paying £300 for a machine that you can use to your heart’s content is appealing at first sight. However, a home machine is not really comparable to a professional treatment.
Home Laser Hair Removal or IPL vs Professional Treatments
- Most home devices are based on IPL, not proper laser. This works like a flashbulb, destroying dark hair where it contrasts against pale skin. This means that IPL really only works best for patients with pale skin and dark hair. It is ineffective on blonde hair/tanned skin
- DIY systems are a much lower power than salon ones and therefore generally less effective than laser treatment
- There are often unseen ‘running costs’ with replacement cartridges (bulbs) costing almost as much as the machine itself, plus expensive gels also required – so often treatment isn’t as economical as you’d think
- Self-treating means that you can’t see quite as well as if you’re treating another person – especially in difficult to reach areas (underarms, bikini). Even a hairdresser rarely cuts their own hair – you simply get a better perspective when you look at somebody than looking at yourself
- There is an undeniable safety aspect. Yes, home machines are lower powered, but they are still potentially damaging. Never be tempted to turn up the dial to get a better result. Having treatment with a trained technician is definitely safer
- Treatment can be slow, especially on a large area such as legs, tummy, arms or back, due to the size of the exposure ‘head’ and the need to wait for each ‘flash’ rather than a continuous motion which you find with professional lasers
- You need to commit to carrying out regular treatments at home, initially weekly. One-off sessions will not give the same results
- Treatment can be uncomfortable
So if you’re thinking of investing in equipment to treat unwanted hair growth at home, also think about the cost of professional treatment. With special offers, such as 20% off during off-peak hours, the cost might be a lot lower than you’d think and treatment will be much safer with the expectation of better results with less hassle.
Professional Laser Hair Removal, Bristol
Quinn Clinics’ laser hair removal centre in Clifton offers a choice of 2 state of the art laser hair removal machines depending on each patient’s unique requirements:
- Candela elōs Plus with Motif
- Lumenis Lightsheer
CONTACT US – FREE APPOINTMENT
While many competitors charge for the initial consultation, at Quinn Clinics there is a free consultation and skin more without any pressure.
68, Oakfield Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 2BG.
Telephone: +44 (0) 117 924 4592